Buried Treasure is a fun game for all ages. It works well for Vacation Bible School or youth ministry. Everyone enjoys playing in a sandbox! For older players, use smaller treasures to make them more difficult to find.
It can be played with two or more teams.
Note: The sandbox does not have to be an actual sandbox. A kiddie pool or even a shallow cardboard box will work. The treasure chest does not have to be an actual treasure chest. Use a bucket or a shoebox or something similar.
Buried Treasure Game
- One sandbox for each team
- One treasure chest for each team
- Assorted “treasure” – wrapped candy, fake gold coins, fake jewels, inexpensive jewelry, small trinkets, etc.
- Before the players arrive, fill the sandboxes with sand and bury the treasure.
- Divide the players into teams.
- Give each team their treasure chest and tell them to find as much treasure as possible in their sandbox.
- At some point call “times up”.
- Count each teams treasures.
- The team with the most items in their treasure chest wins.
- Let each team divide up their spoils. Have a few extra items on hand to ensure that each player gets an equal share.