Friday of the 26th Week in Ordinary Time
Accept or Reject?
Daily Mass Readings for Friday of the 26th Week in Ordinary Time
Cycle 1 is used in odd numbered years and Cycle 2 is used in even numbered years. The gospel is the same for both years. 2023 is Cycle 1. 2024 is Cycle 2.
- First Reading (Cycle 1) – Baruch 1:15-22: “We have neither heeded the voice of the Lord, our God, nor followed the precepts which the Lord set before us.”
- First Reading (Cycle 2) – Job 38:1, 12-21; 40:3-5: “Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth. Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more.”
- Responsorial Psalm (Cycle 1) – Psalm 79: “For the glory of your name, O Lord, deliver us.”
- Responsorial Psalm (Cycle 2) – Psalm 139: “Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.”
- Gospel – Luke 10:13-16: “Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.”
In today’s gospel, Jesus has stern words for those who reject his message. We all have the choice to accept or reject the Good News.
What will I do today? I will have many little opportunities to act as Jesus has taught me or to turn away. Will I accept or reject the invitation of Jesus to follow in his steps.
Lord Jesus, please help open my heart to accept your teachings. I want to be a part of your Kingdom, but I often falter. Show me what I need to repent of right now. Amen.
Homilies and Reflections
From the Jesuits Prayer Ministry. “We reject God when we turn away from Christ’ teachings and the many miracles and signs that He has shown us. No amount of “self-convincing” can erase the Truth of God that we refuse to obey.” Continue reading.