The Seven Sorrows devotion is a prayer where a person meditates on the seven sorrows of our Blessed Mother. Mary experienced tremendous suffering during the life, passion, and death of her son, Jesus Christ. The sorrows are
- The prophesy of Simeon to Mary when Jesus was presented in the temple, which foresaw much suffering in her life
- The flight into Egypt to escape the jealousy of Herod and which caused him to order the killing of the Holy Innocents
- When Jesus was separated from his family in Jerusalem and Mary couldn’t find him
- When Mary encountered Jesus as he carried his cross to Calvary
- The death by crucifixion of Jesus Christ, which Mary witnessed
- Removing the body of Jesus from the cross
- Laying the body of Jesus in the tomb
After meditating on each sorrow, seven Hail Mary’s are said.
The seven graces for this devotion, which were revealed to St. Bridget by the Blessed Virgin Mary, are
- I will grant peace to their families.
- They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
- I have obtained from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.