A prayer rock is a simple way to remember to pray each day. Parents can lay them on their children’s pillows so they remember to pray. Teens can keep them in their backpacks or lockers. Anyone can put them on a desk or carry a small one in a pocket or purse.
The first step is to make the rocks. This would be a great family activity or VBS craft or youth ministry activity. We have done these in Vacation Bible School and in youth group. They are also a nice give to make for shut ins.
You can also use this concept without doing the craft. There are lots of printed prayer rocks available, like these colorful scripture glass stones. Use those with the prayers below.
Prayer Rock Craft
- Smooth stones one per person
- Paint pens assorted colors
- Wash and dry the stones to remove any residue.
- Use the paint pens to write the word “pray” or another inspirational word on the rock.
- Add additional decorations such as a cross or line drawing or a smiley face.
- Dry the stones.
And this is what I’ll do:
Put me on your pillow,
Until the day is through.
Then turn back the covers,
Climb into bed with care,
And you will find your prayer rock sitting right there.
You will then remember
To fold your hands in prayer.
Ask that God will bless you,
And keep you in God’s care.
– Author Unknown Prayer Rock Poem Version 2 I’m your little prayer rock.
I’ll sit upon your bed.
It’s my job to remind you
When your prayers should be said.
When you put me on your pillow
As you make your bed each day.
Remember when you hold me
To take the time to pray.
Then when you go to bed at night
And put me on the floor,
Remember to take the time to kneel
And say your prayers once more.
– Author Unknown