Looking for pirate games? The Pirate Peg Legged Race is basically a three legged relay race with a few other things thrown in for some pirate fun!
This race works well for all ages, so it is suitable for a VBS program, youth group, or youth ministry camp. Our Vacation Bible School often comes up with “extra” games in case something doesn’t work out. This would be a perfect game for that situation.
Pirate Peg Legged Race
Wet variation: Instead of using the treasure as listed below, use water. Let them carry it in their hats. In this pirate game variation, the treasure chest is a bucket they need to fill.
Materials and Equipment
- Something to tie the adjoining legs of each pair
- Two sets of pirate accessories for each team – hat vest, eye patch, sword, etc.
- Treasure candy, small trinkets, silly items, tennis balls, pingpong balls, whatever you want
- Treasure chest for each team – can be a shoebox
- Something to mark the start line and the end line such as a rope or cones
- Mark the start and end lines on a field.
- Spread the treasure out along the end line.
- Have everyone pair up and tie their legs together, three legged race style.
- Divide the group into two (or more) teams.
- Give each team their pirate accessories.
- Give each team a treasure chest which they will leave at the start line.
- On the start, the first pair from each team each put on their pirate accessories and race to the end line.
- They pick up as much treasure as they can carry in their hands and race back to their treasure boxes.
- They put their treasure in the treasure chests and hand off their pirate accessories to the next pair in their team.
- That pair puts on their accessories and runs down to get more treasure.
- This continues until one of the teams fills their treasure chest and wins. (You be the judge of when it is full.)