About This Game
This game is meant to go with the scripture passage in which Jesus explains “It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
“Eye of a needle” is a way of saying a narrow opening. This camel race will help youth see that too much can be a hindrance.
Camel through the Eye of a Needle Race
- Pillowcases (2 per team)
- Small hand towel
- Safety pins
To prepare for this Camel through the Eye of a Needle game, make “saddlebags” by attaching two pillowcases to either side of the hand towel with safety pins. Attach them so the top of the pillowcase is open. You might want to roll the tops of the pillowcases down a little before attaching so they are not dragging on the ground during the race.
Set up an obstacle course to race through. You can make them go around chairs, have someone hold a hula hoop to go through, etc. Near the end of the course, set up an area which will be a tight squeeze. Two tables on their sides can be used for this or some other pieces of furniture.
To Hold a Camel through the Eye of a Needle Race
- Divide the group into teams of three or four.
- Give each team twenty balloons.
- The first member on each team gets down on hands and knees. This is the camel. The teammates place a saddlebag on their back with some balloons in it. They choose how many.
- The camel races through the obstacle course. The camel may not touch the saddlebag with its hands. If the saddlebag comes off or if they touch it, then they must start over.
- When the camel gets to the end of the course it empties the balloons out of the saddlebags and gets up and runs to the start.
- Repeat with the other team members being camels.
- The first team to get all of their balloons to the finish line wins.
- If the course is difficult and the squeeze through the narrow section is really tight, they might not ever finish this game. That is OK and will illustrate the point that it is impossible.
- If you want them to be able to complete the game, make the course easy and the squeeze not too tight.
This version of dodgeball is also impossible to fininsh.
This game will help youth understand that money does not determine a thing or person’s value.
“Following Jesus from a human point of view is not a good deal: it means service.”