An affirmation bracelet is both a craft and an activity. The bracelets are made by sharing a bead with a friend and saying what unique quality you like about that person. This simple exercise reminds youth that each one of us has unique gifts which God gave us.
We did this activity with our middle school Vacation Bible School last summer.
If your group is large, then divide into small groups for this.
Emphasize that they should try to give a more specific affirmation than “You are nice.” The goal is to come up with something unique.
Affirmation Bracelet (Friendship Bracelet)
- Jewelry Cord (I prefer the stretchy kind)
- Beads (these are some I like – use whatever you like or have on hand)
- Cross beads (nice for the youth minster and/or core team to give to them)
- Give each youth enough beads to give one to each other person.
- Give each one about 1 foot of cord.
- Have them go up to each other and say one nice characteristic about the other person. They give them a bead to put on the cord while doing this.
- Each person should give a bead to everyone. Emphasize that no one should be left out.
- Tie the cords. Use several knots, especially if using the stretchy cord. It can slip with just a double know.
- Clip the ends.