This is an active game where youth try to get their own balls in their own basket while keeping the other team’s balls out.
This can be a good game to play for the topics of racism and immigration.
If you use the option to change the rules mid-game, this makes a good tie in with a lesson on authority or Magisterium.
How to Play Not In My Basket! Game
- Divide the group into teams, with an equal number of players per team.
- Assign a ball color to each team.
- Put all of the balls in the center of the room.
- Teams try to get as many of their own color balls in their own basket with few of other colors following these rules:
- A player may only have one ball at a time.
- Teams may not prevent other teams from putting balls in their baskets.
- If a player takes a ball out of a basket (allowed) they must put it in a different basket (not on the floor or hide it somewhere).
- At the end of a set time, score the results:
- Teams add one point for each ball of their own color in their basket.
- Teams subtract one point for a ball of a different color in their basket.
- The team with the most points wins.
Rule variations for Not in My Basket Game
If you want to change the rules midstream (only recommended for high school and older) then here are some variations:
- If they remove a ball from a basket they can put it back on the floor in the middle of the room.
- Balls from other teams subtract 3 points instead of just 1.
- Different colors have different point values – ie yellow = 4, blue = 3, green = 2, red = 1, etc.
Hail Storm game doesn’t take much space, so it can be played indoors. It also involves throwing and you could probably merge the rules with this game to make something with the lesson you want. 🙂
Games are a recommended part of any youth program. Youth ministry games can be used as icebreakers to help youth get to know each other better. They can be used to foster teamwork and trust. They are a way to spend a little energy when they have been sitting to long.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?