Most Catholic youth are familiar with the rosary, but the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is less well known. The Divine Mercy Chaplet is a devotion which reminds us that God is merciful and that we too must show mercy.
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy was first received by St. Faustina. It is commonly said at 3PM, the hour of our Lord’s death.
How to Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet
Make the Sign of the Cross
Say the opening prayer:
- You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth for souls, and the ocean of mercy opened up for the whole world. O Fount of Life, unfathomable Divine Mercy, envelop the whole world and empty Yourself out upon us.
Then repeat this prayer three times:
- O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Next say an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and the Apostle’s Creed
On the large bead before each decade say
- Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
On the ten small beads of each decade say
- For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Repeat for the remaining decades
After the five decades are complete, say this prayer three times:
- Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Then close with this prayer:
- Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion — inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?