About the 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Sunday, February 12, 2023
The readings for the 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time focus on the law and commandments. The first reading tells us to choose life by obeying God’s commandments. The second reading reminds us that God’s wisdom is far greater than our own. And in the gospel Jesus tells us he has come to fulfill the law, not to abolish it.
Some possible themes for this weekend are the Ten Commandments, magisterium, and morality.
Resources and Background Material
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church
- What We Believe: Morality
- Living the 10 Commandments for Children
Daily Mass Readings for the 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
- First Reading –Sirach 15:15-20: “Before man are life and death, good and evil, whichever he chooses shall be given him.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 119: “Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord!”
- Second Reading – 1 Corinthians 2:6-10: “Rather, we speak God’s wisdom, mysterious, hidden, which God predetermined before the ages for our glory, and which none of the rulers of this age knew; for, if they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.”
- Gospel – Matthew 5:17-37: “Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven.”