There are several different aspects of the story of the woman at the well which are interesting to reflect upon. Here are some questions for different ways to look at this story. These can be used to help facilitate group discussion or for starters for journaling.
Jesus spoke to a woman and an outsider
The woman Jesus chose to interact with was a Samaritan. Samaritans were considered outsiders and were looked down on by the Jewish people. And she was a woman, who were also looked down upon at this time.
- Who do I consider outsiders? Immigrants? Homeless? The unpopular group at school? People whose skin color or culture is different than my own?
- Am I comfortable interacting with outsiders? Would I be willing to initiate a conversation? Why or why not?
- What do I find most difficult about breaking down barriers between myself and others?
- Do I treat people of the opposite gender with respect? Or do I engage in activities which reduce them to objects?
- What are some benefits from forming relationships with people who are different than myself?
Jesus offers eternal satisfaction
Jesus told the woman that if she drank of what he offered that she would never thirst. Only God can truly satisfy our desires. Jesus offers himself to us at every mass in the Eucharist.
- How do I spend my time, money, and energy? Do these things bring me lasting satisfaction or temporary pleasure? Think about things like social media, sports, prayer, clothes, food, digital media, recreational activities, friendships, family, etc.
- Do I prefer to be with people who draw me closer to God or those who make it harder for me to grow in relationship with God? Why?
- How often do I spend time in prayer each day? What might make my prayer life more satisfying?
- What do I experience at Mass? How does my participation at Mass influence my experience?
The woman spreads the good news to her neighbors
After her encounter with Jesus, the woman at the well goes to her neighbors and enthusiastically tells them about him.
- Am I willing to talk about my faith with my friends and neighbors?
- What are the main things I want others to know about Jesus?
- If I talk about Jesus, am I willing to share my personal stories or do I prefer to speak more generally? Why?
- What makes it difficult to talk to my friends about Jesus? What do I fear? Why?