Sunday, May 12, 2024
The Solemnity of the Ascension occurs on the 40th day of Easter. However, in most dioceses in the United States, the observance is moved to the following Sunday, superseding the 7th Sunday of Easter.
The readings for the The Ascension of the Lord for Year B (see below) encourage us to being open to the Holy Spirit and willing to spread the Good News. The first reading tells of Jesus’ ascent into heaven and his promise to send the Holy Spirit. The second reading asks for the Holy Spirit to come to us so we can declare the kingship of Jesus Christ. And in the gospel, Jesus gives us the Great Commission, to go and spread the gospel.
Discussion topics for this week could include evangelization, the Holy Spirit, and transitions.
Daily Mass Readings for the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord – Year B
- First Reading – Acts 1:1-11: “When he had said this, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him from their sight.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 47: “God mounts his throne to shouts of joy: a blare of trumpets for the Lord.”
- Second Reading – Ephesians 1:17-23: “May the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give you a Spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him.”
- Alternate Second Reading – Ephesians 4:1-13: “live in a manner worthy of the call you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace”
- Gospel – Mark 16:15-20: “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.”