About the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Year B
Sunday, July 28, 2024
The readings for the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B tell of how God provides for all of our needs and feeds us spiritually. In the first reading Elisha assures his servant that 20 barley loaves will feed 100 people, and it does just as the Lord promised. And in the gospel Jesus feeds the crowd of five thousand with five loaves and two fish, a foreshadowing of the Eucharist.
These readings would lead to a discussion of Eucharist and recognizing the abundance in our lives.
- The Meaning of the Eucharist in the Life of the Church
- The Eucharist: A Bible Study Guide for Catholics
- Five Loaves & Two Fish
Daily Mass Readings for the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
- First Reading – 2 Kings 4:42-44: “And when they had eaten, there was some left over, as the LORD had said.”
- Responsorial Psalm –Psalm 145: “The hand of the Lord feeds us; he answers all our needs.”
- Second Reading – Ephesians 4:1-6: “I, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love, striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.”
- Gospel – John 6:1-15: “Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed them to those who were reclining, and also as much of the fish as they wanted.”