This is an activity to help youth think about the qualities of a good leader. It is held in an informal, small group setting so youth will be comfortable sharing.
Leaders We Love
- Separate the youth into small groups of 5 or 6.
- Have one of the youth name someone they consider a leader. It can be someone famous or someone they know personally. Have them write the person's name on the posterboard and write down three quailties that they feel makes them a good leader.
- Continue until each person has put a leader on the board.
- If time permits, have them each put a second person and qualities on the board.
- Bring the groups back together. Let each group share the people and qualities they admired.
- Talk about the qualities which were brought up most often. What does this tell us about how we view leaders?
- Talk about an surprising characteristics. Were any of these characteristics what you would consider "negative" in other circumstances? What made some of the charateristics unusual?