About this listening game
We have a lot of noise and distractions in our world. This listening game will teach youth how hard it is to hear above the din. We really need to focus in order to hear God’s voice above all of the other voices which are competing for our attention.
How to play Noisy Circle
- Have everyone stand in a large circle, 10 feet or more in diameter.
- Have each one identify the person directly across from them in the circle. This is their partner. Because of the diameter of the circle, partners should be at least 10 feet away from each other.
- Give the group a topic – such as “favorite movies” or “my family”.
- All of the pairs at once should spend two minutes talking to their partners about the subject.
- Because there is some distance between them, they will have to speak loudly.
- Because of the number of pairs speaking at once, it will get noisy!
- At the end of the time, have the pairs summarize, one at a time, what they learned about each other.
- Did the noise of the other groups make it difficult to listen to your partner?
- Would it have been easier to talk to each other if you had gone to a quiet corner of the room to talk?
- What does this tell you about listening to God?
- How can you focus so you can hear what God is trying to tell you?
- Do you think it takes effort and practice to reduce the noise and distractions in your life?
Notes for this listening game
If you have too many people for the whole group to play, choose a group of people to play this as an up front game. You will want at least five or six pairs to make it noisy enough.
Other resources for hearing God’s voice
- Lectio Divina – let God speak through scripture
- How to Listen When God Is Speaking: A Guide for Modern-Day Catholics
- Pray the Daily Examen