The Feast of the Holy Family Year B
When is the Feast of the Holy Family in 2023?
Sunday December 31, 2023
The readings for the Feast of the Holy Family Year B focus on the importance of family. The first reading tells of the wisdom and justice in honoring fathers. The alternate first reading, God promises that Abraham and Sarah will have a son. The psalm The second reading tells us how to live together as families. The alternate for the second reading recalls the story of Abraham and Sarah. And in the gospel Joseph and Mary take the infant Jesus to Jerusalem for the ritual of purification. There they meet Simeon and Anna, who both speak about Jesus’ future.
What are the Mass Readings for the Feast of the Holy Family Year B?
- First Reading – Sirach 3:2-6, 12-14: “Whoever honors his father atones for sins, and preserves himself from them. When he prays, he is heard; he stores up riches who reveres his mother.”
- Alternate First Reading – Genesis 15:1-6; 21:1-3: “The LORD took note of Sarah as he had said he would; he did for her as he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time that God had stated.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 128: “Blessed are those who fear the Lord and walk in his ways.”
- Alternate Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 105: “The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.”
- Second Reading – Colossians And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection. And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body.“
- Alternate Second Reading – Hebrews 11:8, 11-12, 17-19: “So it was that there came forth from one man, himself as good as dead, descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sands on the seashore.”
- Gospel – Luke 2:22-40: “Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word, for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you prepared in sight of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel.”
What Are the Themes for the Mass Readings for the Feast of the Holy Family Year B?
- What it means to be a member of God’s family
- Different types of families – biological families, faith families, intentional families
Resources for the Feast of the Holy Family Year B
Family Circle is a game which works well as an icebreaker or for a lesson about relationships. It also makes sense for a meeting about human dignity. We are all members of God’s family.
This blessed home prayer, based on Psalm 128, which is the responsorial psalm for this feast, asks for blessings on our home and family as we follow the ways of the Lord.
And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection. And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body.
The purpose of this reflection is to help youth understand the importance of recognizing God. They will consider what signs indicate that God is near.
The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord commemorates when Joseph and Mary took Jesus to Jerusalem to be consecrated. There they met Simeon and Anna who blessed the child and prophesied about him. Use this crossword puzzle to reinforce the main characters and ideas in the gospel for this day
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?