About the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
Sunday August 25, 2024
The readings for the Twenty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time for Year B remind us that discipleship is a choice. In the first reading Joshua challenges the Israelites to decide if they will serve the Lord or pagan gods. In the gospel, some of Jesus’ followers walk away because they cannot accept what he is saying.
This is a good time to speak about endurance and perseverance as disciples.
Resources and Background Material
- The Eucharist in the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist
- Resources for the Gospel of John
Daily Mass Readings for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
- First Reading – Joshua 24:1-2A, 15-17, 18B :”He performed those great miracles before our very eyes and protected us along our entire journey and among the peoples through whom we passed. Therefore we also will serve the LORD, for he is our God.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 34: “Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.”
- Second Reading – Ephesians 5:21-32 OR 5:2A, 25-32: “This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church.”
- Gospel – John 6:60-69: “The words I have spoken to you are Spirit and life. But there are some of you who do not believe.”