About the First Friday Devotion
When Jesus appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, he promise several graces to those who devoted themselves to his Sacred Heart. They would show their devotion by receiving communion on nine consecutive first Fridays.
How to Practice the First Friday Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
So this is practiced by
- Attending mass and receiving communion on nine consecutive first Fridays
- Receiving reconciliation if necessary
- This devotion is often accompanied by a Eucharistic Holy Hour on First Fridays also.
The graces promised by Jesus to those practicing this devotion are
- I will give them all of the graces necessary for their state of life. I will establish peace in their houses.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their strength during life and above all during death.
- I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place where a picture of my heart shall be set up and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who shall receive communion on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment
This solemnity is celebrated 19 days after Pentecost. So it always falls on a Friday, although not necessarily a first Friday. It celebrates Our Lords tremendous love for us.
This 17th century mystic had visions of Jesus in which he told her about his sacred heart.
This article by Sr. Theresa Marie Nguyen, O.P. explains that devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus ties in with religious freedom. We must love with our whole selves.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?