In his encyclical Laudato Si, Pope Francis urges us to be better stewards of the Earth, our common home. All Catholics are called to practice environmental justice. So do something nice for the environment:
- Start recycling if you don’t already
- Avoid paper products. Use cloth napkins instead of paper ones. Use regular plates and utensils instead of disposable ones.
- Replace your disposable water bottles with a reusable one.
- Replace your light bulbs with energy efficient models.
- Clean up litter in a neighborhood park.
- Use less processed packaged foods and cook from scratch.
- Have meatless Mondays.
- Plant a tree.
- Walk or ride a bike for trips in your neighborhood instead of getting in your car.
- Take your own cloth bags to the grocery store instead of using the plastic or paper bags.
These are just a few ideas to help you get started. There are many things youth and families can do. Look around your home and church and try to see where else you might be able to conserve the Earth’s resources.