About Silent Sorting Game
This is a twist on the usual “line up by your birthday” game. Usually in that game, you will see youth holding up a number of fingers to indicate year, month, day. In this version, they cannot use that option. So they must come up with an alternative method of communicating the numbers.
How to Play Silent Sorting Game
- Give each person a number. You can do this when they enter the room, or you can assign it on the spot.
- Explain the rules:
- No talking at all
- No making sounds to indicate their number
- No holding up fingers to indicate their number
- Have them arrange themselves in order, following the rules.
Play your initial round with one of these variations or play a second round this way.
- Line up by birthday
- Line up by exact age (a little different than birthday because they must consider the year also)
- Line up by height
- Line up by shoe size
People sort is an activity which can be used as an icebreaker or opening activity for a youth group meeting focused on human dignity, immigration, or institutional racism. Use the debrief time to have an honest discussion about why we group people by race rather than other characteristics.
This listening game will teach youth how hard it is to hear above the noise in their lives. Tie this in with a lesson about listening to God over all of the other distractions in our lives.
Find even more youth ministry games on this site.
Life Teen has five no prep games