Sunday, May 19, 2024
The readings for the Pentecost for Year B (see below) clearly tell us that we need to be willing to receive the Holy Spirit and then use the gifts we receive. In the first reading we hear how the Holy Spirit came to the disciples and empowered them to share the gospel with people from different nations. The second reading tells us that it is the Holy Spirit who enables us to proclaim the gospel in unity. In the gospel Jesus breathes on his followers and enables them to forgive sins.
Discussion topics for this week could include evangelization, the fruits of the Spirit, and reconciliation.
Daily Mass Readings for Pentecost – Year B
- First Reading – Acts 2:1-11: “And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 104: “Lord, send out your Spirit, and renew the face of the earth.”
- Second Reading – 1 Corinthians 12:3B-7, 12-13: “For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit.”
- Alternate Second Reading – Galatians 5:16-25: “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.”
- Gospel – John 20:19-23: “And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit.”
- Alternate Gospel – John 15:26-27; 16:12-15: “But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth.”
More resources for for Pentecost – Year B
Top ideas for Pentecost – Year B
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?