About the 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
Sunday, August 11, 2024
The readings for the Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time for Year B demonstrate that God sustains us. In the first reading Elijah wants to give up, but the Lord gives him strength to continue. And in the gospel, people are doubting Jesus, but he declares that he is the bread of life.
So these readings could lead to a discussion of the Eucharist or the importance of not giving up.
Resources and Background
- The Eucharist in the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist
- Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church
Daily Mass Readings for the 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B
- First Reading – 1 Kings 19:4-8: “He got up, ate, and drank; then strengthened by that food, he walked forty days and forty nights to the mountain of God, Horeb.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 34: “Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.”
- Second Reading – Ephesians 4:30—5:2: “Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were sealed for the day of redemption.”
- Gospel – John 6:41-51: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”
Top ideas for 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Year B
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?