About Our Lady of Sorrows
Feast Day: September 15
The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows commemorates the extreme sorrow that the Blessed Virgin Mary experienced during the life, passion, and death of Jesus Christ.
The Seven Sorrows Devotion
There is a traditional Catholic devotion related to the seven sorrows of Mary:
- The prophesy of Simeon at the presentation of Jesus in Jerusalem
- The flight into Egypt to escape Herod
- Losing Jesus in the temple in Jesusalem when he was an adolescent
- Seeing Jesus as he carried his cross
- The death by crucifixion of Jesus Christ
- Taking the body of Jesus down from the cross
- The burial of Jesus in the tomb
After meditating on each sorrow, seven Hail Mary’s are said.
The seven graces for this devotion, which were revealed to St. Bridget by the Blessed Virgin Mary, are
- I will grant peace to their families.
- They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
- I have obtained from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.
Mary knew that saying yes to God was an act of love. She also understood that love involves sacrifice. This lesson plan discusses why we must accept that the Christian life is not a life free of pain.
This lesson plan explains the Catholic practice of devotions and prayers for Our Blessed Mother and the saints.
Mary did not escape pain in her life. The message here is that we trust in God’s presence, even in the most difficult times in our lives.
How Can We Be Closer to Mary?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?