About the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Sunday, August 15, 2021
August 15 is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This holy day celebrates Mary’s passing and being assumed into heaven. This day is a holy day of obligation for Catholics in the US.
The Assumption of Mary was declared as dogma by Pope Pius XII in 1950.
Daily Mass Readings for the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
For the Vigil Mass
- First Reading – 1 Chronicles 15:3-4, 15-16; 16:1-2: “David assembled all Israel in Jerusalem to bring the ark of the LORD to the place which he had prepared for it.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 132: “Lord, go up to the place of your rest, you and the ark of your holiness.”
- Second Reading – 1 Corinthians 15:54b-57: “Death is swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?”
- Gospel – Luke 11:27-28: “He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.””
For Mass during the day
- First Reading – Revelation 11:19a; 12:1-6a, 10ab: “A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 45: “The queen stands at your right hand, arrayed in gold.”
- Second Reading – 1 Corinthians 15:20-27: “just as in Adam all die, so too in Christ shall all be brought to life”
- Gospel – Luke 1:39-56: “From this day all generations will call me blessed”
Top ideas for Assumption of Mary
Even more resources for Assumption of Mary
- The Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- The Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Catholic Moms, Dads, Catechists, and Teachers group on Facebook
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?