August 15 is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This holy day celebrates Mary’s passing and being assumed into heaven. This day is a holy day of obligation for Catholics in the US.
The Assumption of Mary was declared as dogma by Pope Pius XII in 1950.
Daily Mass Readings for the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
For the Vigil Mass
- First Reading – 1 Chronicles 15:3-4, 15-16; 16:1-2: “David assembled all Israel in Jerusalem to bring the ark of the LORD to the place which he had prepared for it.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 132: “Lord, go up to the place of your rest, you and the ark of your holiness.”
- Second Reading – 1 Corinthians 15:54b-57: “Death is swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?”
- Gospel – Luke 11:27-28: “He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.””
For Mass during the day
- First Reading – Revelation 11:19a; 12:1-6a, 10ab: “A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 45: “The queen stands at your right hand, arrayed in gold.”
- Second Reading – 1 Corinthians 15:20-27: “just as in Adam all die, so too in Christ shall all be brought to life”
- Gospel – Luke 1:39-56: “From this day all generations will call me blessed”
Even though there is no biblical reference to Mary’s assumption, Scripture does tell us that other biblical characters such as Enoch and Elijah were taken up into heaven after living holy lives. Mary’s assumption into heaven shows that she shared in her son’s victory over death.
Quote and Social Media Graphic
With God, nothing is lost! In Mary, the goal has been reached and we have before our eyes the reasons why we journey: not to gain the things here below, which are fleeting, but the homeland above, which is for ever.Pope Francis
This Assumption shortcakes dessert recipe is an Assumption activity to celebrate the Assumption of Mary. Each part of the recipe represents something about the feast. You can use your favorite shortcake recipe. Or use the simple recipe given here.
Why do Catholics pray to Mary and the saints? This lesson plan will help youth understand that it is like asking a friend to pray for you. And it points out that asking someone for prayer is not the same as worship.
A rosary slide bracelet or keychain is a nice craft to remind children and teens to pray. The key-chain which can actually be used for keys for teenagers.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?