It’s easy to get stuck in a rut when praying. Sometimes our prayer seems the same every time. While it is not necessarily wrong to always pray with this sort of repetition, sometimes a little push out of our routine will help. With a little encouragement we can discover more things to pray about.
This prayer prompt is to discover prayer ideas which start with different letters of the alphabet. This is a suggestion for a group prayer, but it could also be used as an individual prayer starter.
ABC Prayer Circle
- Foam alphabet letters optional
- The group should arrange themselves in a circle so that there is a clear order.
- Pass out the alphabet letters in order to each person. Some people might have multiple letters.
- Let them spend a few moments deciding what they will pray for.
- The first person (who should be holding an A) prays for something which starts with the letter A. (Aunt Mary, attitude adjustment, answered prayers…)
- The next person (holding a B) prays for something which starts with the letter B (better habits, blessings for my teachers, belief… )
- The next person (holding a C) prays for something which starts with the letter C (crime victims, courage, conversion …)
- Continue in this manner until you reach the end of the alphabet
- A: adoptive parents, agnostics, atheists
- B: belief, baptized Christians, bishops
- C: courage, converts to Catholicism
- D: discernment, desire for the Eucharist,
- E: evangelization, elderly
- F: faith, fathers
- G: gentleness, gratitude
- H: hospitality, healers, holiness
- I: immigrants, inclusiveness
- J: joy, justice
- K: knowledge, kindness
- L: leadership, love
- M: ministers, mercy, married couples, mothers
- N: nuns, new life
- O: outsiders, oneness
- P: priests, persecuted Christians, peace, patience, pope
- Q: questions, quiet
- R: religious, reconciliation
- S: sisters, self-control, sick
- T: teachers, trust, truth
- U: understanding, United States
- V: victims of violence, vocations
- W: wisdom, wonder
- X: xylophones and the gift of music, x-rays and the technicians who take them
- Y: youth ministers, yearning
- Z: zoos and the diversity they represent, zeal